Sunday, February 23, 2014

Young, Wild and Free


Sam and Suzy both embody young, wild and free. It's a wonderful life, what we have. Had Sam and Suzy decided to stick with what is expected of them as kids, then they wouldn't be able to discover the miracle of life. 

In contrast, I was a good kid. Always and forever, I'd like to think. I was on my 16 years when I entered college. High school was a pretty great 4-years for me-- academics and extra-curricular activities-wise. College is not entirely the same because of the former, sadly. 

As the kid who always had things figured out-- from cause to effect, the thought of growing up never really scared me. I was actually excited for it. I'd like to think college was the era when I did not completely adhere to status quo. Sure, I still study so hard and engage in a lot of extra-curricular activities, but it was in applying the concept of you only live once (yolo), that I truly grew. 

Among others, that decision to grow up and to break free is ultimately on the hands of one's self. I believe this was manifested when Sam and Suzy, after all the love letters, decided to run away.

Photo from IMDb

Young but not entirely innocent was their love. Hiking, camping and fishing together while engaging in couple-y activities was the first revelation that they were not juvenile. However, just like any movie, I think love is depicted as easy, that it can conquer all so long as the boy and the girl are together. As much as I'd like to believe in that, movies like this make me believe that love is indeed just... plain easy. On the other hand, loss of innocence was already shown when Suzy injures one of the scouts even with just the use of scissors.

In the end, when Sharp ultimately tells Sam that he wants to be the kid's legal guardian, I thought Sam's future would finally be guided. On a personal note, I think having parents who love you so much most definitely makes life wonderful.

Sam painting Moonrise Kingdom in the end represents that he wants to take charge or paint his future. In this light, one of the most significant themes of the film is to make your life. While it takes a whole day for moonrise, it also takes experiences for a great future. This beach which Sam renamed symbolizes how he plans to also revolutionize the way he will continue to live. Unlike the elders, Sam and Suzy clearly understands that they are here not to be a follower but to make their own lives.
Indeed, there is so much depth in Sam and Suzy's young minds.

Unlike James Joyce's Araby protagonist, Sam was aggressive and would directly go after what he wants.

Sam, Suzy and I practically share the same principles in life. However, while they live in fiction, I live in the real world and have to be better.

P.S. When I found out Roman Coppola was one of the writers, I was excited because I've watched films (e.g. Marie Antoinette) by her sister Sofia Coppola which are definitely my favorites!

Here's a song that inspires me to own this life!

Young, Wild and Free by Wiz Khalifa and Snoop Dogg feat. Bruno Mars

xx,
Pat



No comments:

Post a Comment