Sunday, April 6, 2014

Who's That Girl: Anna Akhmatova

After high school, I never thought I would be given the chance to recite a poem in class. However, through HUMALIT, I once again did. And not only did I do so, but I also got to know more about Anna Akhmatova, my chosen poet.

Anna Akhmatova
Here are 5 key things about Anna:
  1. She had several love interests.
  2. She was an Acmeist poet (meaning she chose concrete versus vague).
  3. She was a law student.
  4. She did not abandon her country in times of hardship.
  5. She is arguably the greatest Russian woman poet.
I particularly like that she was a female law student who eventually decided to pursue literature. This is something close to me because I want to take up law someday too.

More on Anna's Early Life:
  1.  She was born Anna Gorenko into an upper-class family in Ukraine in 1889
  2.  She was forced to take a pen name.
  3. She attended law school.
  4. She married Nikolai Gumilev, a poet.
  5. Nikolai traveled and left Anna alone.
  6. Nikolai and Anna had a son named Lev.
  7. Anna married twice more.
File:Ахматова Н.Гумилев Л.Гумилев.jpg
Nikolai Gumilev, Lev Gumilev and Anna Akhmatova




No comments:

Post a Comment